A BRIEF HISTORY OF
PALESTINE LODGE #111


Palestine Lodge was organized at Andrew L. Dunham's store on Church Street in New Brunswick, NJ, by Robert C. Helm, Henry A. Hull, Robert G. Miller, William H. Fisher, Andrew L. Dunham, Joseph Campbell, John French, John Helm, Enos A. Sage, G.M. Burton and Henry S. Boyce, who were the charter members. Temple Lodge was the name first adopted by them. However, when they applied for a dispensation, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, William E. Pine, informed them that he had granted a dispensation for a lodge named Lodge of the Temple, and suggested that they change the name as it was so similar to that of the other lodge. Palestine Lodge was substituted and a dispensation granted.

The Charter of Palestine Lodge, No. 111, bears the date of January 19, 1871. It was instituted at the City Hall on Liberty Street in New Brunswick, NJ on February 16, 1871, William E. Pine, Grand Master. Robert C. Helm was the first Worshipful Master, E.A. Sage was Senior Warden, and William H. Fisher was the Junior Warden.